Friday, July 27, 2012

Serenity

My boyfriend is a Marine and he just came back from his second deployment. Some poems I will be posting are about him when he was away. Writing helped me a lot through his deployment. When I wasn't able to talk to him- I wrote. I wrote this poem from his point of view as a Marine...


Serenity

What day is it?
It doesn't matter.

When the days get longer
That's when I'll know.

When the days get longer
I leave this sandbox.

Till then I rest. I patrol. I post. I wait.

I wait for my friends
To come out and play.

I wait with my SAW.
Safety- off.

Straining my eyes
To see an end

But its just endless sand.
A beach with no water.

Ripples in the sand
Come into view and then

Vanish.

I'm still here.
Undisturbed.

Each new ripple is different.
Ever changing patterns.

One minute- there.
Next minute- gone.

Sounds all too familiar.
A lot of men, a lot of friends

Have been that ripple.
Here one minute,
Gone the next.

























2 comments:

  1. Camille, nice to see that I have a friend who has a boyfriend also in the military. Although my boyfriend has not left yet, I am already stressing out about him leaving for boot camp. How long were your boyfriend's two deployments? How often do you get to see him when he is home (I am guessing he is stationed somewhere else in the country, where you don't live)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. His last two deployments were 7 months long and he will be out of the Marines in 3 months. Woohoo! He is stationed in North Carolina while I'm in Boston :/ It's hard esp. because his home is New Mexico. But, we have managed to make it work. I have gone to North Carolina when he has has long weekends or he drives here. He has had some leave time which is about a month too. My advice would be to take it day by day. Try not to stress and enjoy the time you guys can spend together. Good luck to you and him!

    ReplyDelete